Sunday, February 22, 2009

Krafty Koffee

I've missed paper. Really, really missed it. Yesterday I was so excited because I had nothing pressing to do and I could play in my craft room for the first time in a week. I had new toys and enthusiasm! I gathered up my computer (for the necessary craft time listening experience) and my water bottle and marched triumphantly into my room. And wouldn't you know it...performance anxiety. I sat in one place for hours and couldn't think of a single thing to do. I browsed sketches and color inspirations to no avail.

So today I told myself to suck it up, be a woman, and get something made. Lucky for me there was a new sketch challenge posted over at Card Positioning Systems (with a little Papertrey incentive). So my card today uses that sketch (#104 from CPS) as a starting point. I'm a literal sketch follower, so it's pretty true to the original.



I used a standard A2 Ripe Avocado base layered with a piece of white cardstock stamped with the dashed square background from the new Background Basics: Retro set. I love this background. It reminds me of my grandpa's pjs.

The focal image is a piece of Kraft stamped with the coffee cup and sentiment from the Warm Happiness set. I rounded the corners, distressed the edges with a pair of scissors, and sponged on some white ink before adhering it to a piece of Ripe Avocado. That is mounted to the white layer with foam tape.

The smaller panel is another piece of Kraft (also with rounded corners and distressed/inked edges) stamped with the open polka dot from Rustic Branches. I wanted white inside the polka dots so I filled them in with a white colored pencil. I mounted that to another piece of Ripe Avocado and then ran it through my sewing machine (removed recently from storage just for paper crafting goodness). I popped a hole through that whole thing and attached a largish copper brad. That panel is then adhered to the white layer (no foam tape).

Boy, oh, boy it feels good to be productive again. It may not me my most mind-blowing card ever, but I'm pleased. I hope you've enjoyed!

Recipe:
Cardstock: Ripe Avocado, Kraft - Papertrey Ink; Ultimate White - Strathmore
Stamps: Warm Happiness, Rustic Branches - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Ripe Avocado, Spring Moss - Papertrey Ink; Burnt Umber - Palette; Frost White - Colorbox
Tools: Small corner rounder (yellow) - EK Success; scissors (for distressing); sewing machine
Other: Copper Premium Brad (the bigger ones) - American Crafts; Thread; Foam Tape - Scotch; White Colored Pencil - Prismacolor

12 comments:

{PurpleD} said...

Hey, you actually gave me an idea for a card!! I'm off to do it for the challenge right now!!

By the way, your looks awesome. I'm a little biased because I love coffee, but so what? :-)

Anonymous said...

I love your choice of papers and stamps and colours.

Melisa Hunter

Anonymous said...

Very nice - love the colors and stamps you used!

Jennifer Kirk said...

Great card! I love, love, love ripe avacado with kraft paper. It's one of my favorite color combos.

Babies-Beth said...

oooohhh, and it's such a great card, too!

Geny said...

Wow what an awesome card!!! I love it so much!

IamDerby said...

Lovely card!!

Anonymous said...

This is great! Love your stitched detail!

Lea L. said...

So cute! Love the stamping on kraft...looks fab! Great job with sketch 104...thanks for playing at CPS this week!

~Lea

Unknown said...

I love the neutral colors (& of course the coffee theme :P) here!

staceykingman said...

I really love this card! The dotted grid background is perfect.

Deanna said...

Love it... awesome color combo!