Sunday, July 31, 2011

Coloring With White Ink

Hello, Blogland! Last weekend's Stamp-A-Faire event really lit a fire under my tush. It made me think more about blogging and engaging with the creative community. So here I am with a second (!) post this week. Today I wanted to play along with this week's Make It Monday challenge in which Heather Nichols featured coloring with white ink. I'd never tried the technique before, so I thought it might be fun.


I started by creating a white card base and layering it with a piece of Aqua Mist cardstock that I had been run through the Cuttlebug with the Picnic Plaid impression plate. Then I wrapped the base with a strip of white ruffled ribbon and gray and white bakers twine tied in a little bow.


Next I stamped the stork from Bundle of Joy onto Hawaiian Shores using Smoky Shadow ink. Then I used a Q-tip to add layers of ink until I was happy with my coverage. I learned that it worked better when I tapped off a little of the excess white ink onto scrap paper before using the Q-tip on my image. Next, I stamped the baby bundle onto white cardstock in Smoky Shadow and Melon Berry inks and added color using Prismacolor pencils. The little heart on the blankie was also embellished with a touch of clear gloss.


I felt like the stork panel was a little bland so I stamped some polka dots in watermark ink over top of the image before adding the sentiment in Fresh Snow ink. Then I matted that piece with white cardstock and mounted the baby bundle with foam tape. Finally I mounted the whole focal piece to the base with foam tape.

I hope you've enjoyed my card today. Thanks so much for taking a peek!

Recipe:
Cardstock: Aqua Mist, Hawaiian Shores - Papertrey Ink; white
Stamps: Bundle of Joy, Everyday Classics (Anniversary Set - not for sale) - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Smoky Shadow, Melon Berry, Fresh Snow - Papertrey Ink; Water Lily Green - Palette; VersaMark - Tsukineko
Other: Picnic Plaid Impression Plate - Papertrey Ink; Ruffled White Ribbon - May Arts; Oyster Bakers Twine - Divine Twine; Foam Tape - Scotch; Glossy Accents - Ranger

1 comment:

Christina said...

Ooh, this is super cute! I love how soft the stork looks with the sponged ink, and the polka dots are a great addition.