Sunday, February 12, 2012

Global Greetings - Day 3

Hello, Blogland! Today is Day 3 of the February Paperytrey Ink release countdown and we're celebrating birthdays! I've put together a couple of cards showcasing the birthday sentiments from Global Greetings: German and Italian (available on February 15th). Let's get started...


First up is a little Black Forest cupcake card. I thought that seemed like an appropriate flavor to use with the "Gute Zum Geburtstag" sentiment from the German version of the series. I started by die cutting and stamping a Half & Half strip, leaving a space for the sentiment between the pattern stamps. Next, I die cut a circle and stamped the bottom half of my cupcake. The top part of my cupcake was die cut from Dark Chocolate cardstock, stamped with watermark ink, and heat embossed using clear, ultra-fine embossing powder.


The next step was to apply white liquid appliqué and heat emboss it. The result resembles the whipped cream in a Black Forest cake. I stitched on a Pure Poppy "cherry" and mounted the cupcake top to my prepared circle. That whole piece was mounted to my Half & Half strip with foam tape. The final step was mounting the entire focal strip to the Kraft base textured with the Woodgrain Impression plate  (woodgrain...Black Forest...get it?). Sorry, my nerdiness eeked out there for a second. Moving on...


Today's second card involved creating patterned paper using the Cupcake Collection cupcakes. I began stamping my sweet treats at the bottom of the stock and worked my way toward the top, alternating colors and tops/bottoms as I went. Once that was finished, I hand-stitched a pinked border to the edge and adhered it to a Berry Sorbet base that had been stamped with Fresh Snow polka dots.


The sentiment was stamped in Aqua Mist ink and matted with a bit of Sweet Blush cardstock. The Spring Moss loop/swallow tail ribbon treatment was adhered to the base first and the sentiment piece was mounted over top with foam tape. A cheerful birthday card for any lovely, young (or young at heart) Italian lady.

Well that's all for me today. Thank you for stopping by and I hope to see you tomorrow for Day 4. Make sure to visit NicholeHeather, Maile, Lisa, Melissa, and Tiffany for more projects and inspiration.

All products are from Papertrey Ink unless otherwise noted.
Black Forest Cupcake Card Recipe:
Stamps: Cupcake Collection, Half & Half, Global Greetings: German (available February 15th)
Ink: Pure Poppy, Dark Chocolate; Versamark - Tsukineko
Cardstock: Classic Craft, Dark Chocolate; generic white
Other: Pure Poppy Vintage Button, Half & Half Die, Woodgrain Impression Plate, Cupcake Collection Dies, Clear Embossing Powder; Embroidery Floss - DMC; Liquid Appliqué - Marvy Uchida; Circle Dies - Quickutz; Foam tape - Scotch

Italian Cupcake Birthday Card Recipe:
Stamps: Cupcake Collection, Polka Dot Basics 2, Global Greetings: Italian (available February 15th)
Ink: Spring Moss, Aqua Mist, Sweet Blush, Berry Sorbet, Fresh Snow; Yellow Pigment - Studio G
Cardstock: Berry Sorbet, Harvest Gold, Sweet Blush; generic white
Other: Spring Moss Saddle Stitched Ribbon, Pinked Edge die; Embroidery floss - DMC; Foam tape - Scotch

7 comments:

jan metcalf said...

Very nice cards! I want to eat that first cupcake!!! Mmmm

~Anna said...

Beautiful, Liz!

Helen L said...

Lizzy, I LOVE your second card!! It's so bright and cheerful: I want to make one just like it :-) Beautiful job!!

Gabby said...

Two fantastic cards! Being of German descent, I love the birthday card, complete with the black forest cupcake! Double clever! The festive, colorful cupcakes w/the Spanish birthday greeting is perfecto, as well! Great post today! :)

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Super cute cards! Must pull the cupcake set out and make a few using your designs. Love the chocolate looking one. Yummy!

Anette Eakins said...

I just wanted to tell you how much I like the Global Greetings. I was born and raised in Germany. When I was 19 I met an American GI, fell in love, married him and moved to the States. With all of my family still living in Germany it will be nice to have a stamp set with greetings in my native language. One thing about the "Gute zum Geburtstag" sentiment that you used on today's card - shouldn't it say "Alles Gute zum Geburtstag"? I saw that the other birthday sentiment (in the different font) includes the "Alles". I have never heard anyone in Germany use just "Gute zum Geburtstag". I really hope you don't mind me pointing that out!

Dee said...

Delightful and creative way to make a Black Forest cupcake!! Very unique. The Italian card has a very festive look--perfect colors and attractive way of layering on the card.