Thursday, August 11, 2016

Lucky Break - Day 2

Good morning and welcome back for Day 2 of the Papertrey Ink August countdown! I'm back today with a few more projects featuring my new set, Lucky Break. Nichole and Amy Sheffer are also introducing this set today, too, so make sure to check in with them to see more of it in action. Let's get on to some projects, shall we?

Let's start with a traditional Thanksgiving project. I wanted to show how elegant this set can be, so I set about using a simple cream, brown, and gold color palette.

Gilded Happy Thanksgiving Card

I began by heat embossing the herringbone pattern onto a Vintage Cream card base using gold powder. Next, I die cut the wishbone from a Dark Chocolate panel and heat embossed the sentiment, also with gold powder.

Gilded Happy Thanksgiving Close Up

Then, I carefully taped off the center of the panel and painted just the edges with gold watercolor. It gives such a luxe appearance without adding the bulk of a mat layer. Once my edges were dry I removed the tape and added that panel to the card base with foam tape. Simple and sophisticated.

Next up is a card that's so incredibly easy it's almost embarrassing. But it's a great masculine design and it can be dressed up with sequins, rhinestones, or baker's twine for a more ladylike version.

Best Of Luck Card

I began by stamping the wishbones onto a Classic Kraft card base using Fresh Snow ink. I added the sentiment in True Black and then textured the front of the card with the Linen & Canvas Impression Plate. And then I talked myself in and out of adding embellishments for an hour. Ta da!

Best Of Luck Close Up

But really, you could easily do this same design in other colors or you could whip this baby together on your way out the door to an "oops-I-forgot-about-that-graduation-party" get together. Because who hasn't been there at least once, right?

I have one last project for today. It's a quirky spin on a birthday card and would be perfect for November birthdays.

Watercolor Make A Wish Card

I began by heat embossing the wishbone onto watercolor paper using white embossing powder. Then, I painted around it using Hawaiian Shores ink. Once the initial layer of color was dry, I speckled on additional Hawaiian Shores and Tropical Teal inks. I also added white flecks using Opaque White Pigment from Copic.

Watercolor Make A Wish Close Up

After all that had dried, I stamped my sentiment in True Black and trimmed the panel down a smidge. I mounted it to a white card base with foam tape and added a handful of Sunshine & Rainbows sequins. I'm going to be very sad when that little baggie is empty. I love those sequins.

There you have it folks! Thank you so much for joining me today! I'll see you back here tomorrow with more of the August release. In the meantime, make sure to pop in on Nichole, AmyBetsy, DanielleDawnHeather, Kay, MelissaErinLexi, and Maile for more peeks at this month's releases. See you soon!

Recipes:
Happy Thanksgiving Card
Stamps: Lucky Break, Background Basics: Herringbone - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Vintage Cream, Dark Chocolate - Papertrey Ink
Ink: VersaMark - Tsukineko
Other: Lucky Break Die - Papertrey Ink; Gold Embossing Powder - Filigree; Foam Tape - Scotch; Gold Watercolor Paint - Gansai Tambi

Best Of Luck Card
Stamps: Lucky Break - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Classic Kraft - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Fresh Snow, True Black - Papertrey Ink
Other: Linen & Canvas Impression Plate - Papertrey Ink

Make A Wish Card
Stamps: Lucky Break - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Watercolor Paper - Ranger; white
Ink: Hawaiian Shores, Tropical Teal, True Black - Papertrey Ink; VersaMark - Tsukineko
Other: Sunshine & Rainbows Sequins - Papertrey Ink; Opaque White Pigment - Copic; Foam Tape - Scotch; White Embossing Powder - Filigree

12 comments:

jan metcalf said...

We had this family tradition!

Nancy said...

Love your cards...especially the watercoloring on the last card, but the gold herringbone card is so elegant, thanks for the tip on how to achieve the gold edge by taping off, great idea instead of another layer.

Susi said...

Seeing so many lovely cards by the DT with your lovely new set, Lizzie, including your gorgeous creations. The image shape kinda reminds me of a Maple Leaf tree seed, called a "key" too :-)

Diana K said...

All of your cards, like usual, are fabulous but guess which one I'm loving the most? Yup, the embarrassingly simple one. Genius, girl! Amy really rocked the set for you also. :)

keysha said...

Gorgeous cards!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the simplest ideas can be the most stunning! You have definitely shown us that that is true.

Cindy H. said...

In love with your sophisticated card! Your cards are fantastic and I love this new stamp set.

nancy said...

Oh, I love PTI's $5 sets and this one is no exception. Your first card is elegant and wonderful and perfect for mass producing, especially if made less elegant and the gold herringbone is replaced with some patterned papers in fall colors. Thanks for a great inspiration piece and the tools to make it, Lizzie.

Unknown said...

Can't pick a favorite;-)

Anonymous said...

Very simple designs, but so nice. Beginners could make these cards for their friends with ease and confidence. Thanks for the great ideas!

Kari D said...

Woot! The first Happy Thanksgiving card is just perfect. So elegant. Love your font choices!

Kathy Mc said...

Lizzie, your design on your Thanksgiving card is fabulous with the way you added so much detail in unusual ways. That wishbone looks like a fun one! Do you use a Big Shot for die cutting? Curious what sandwich you use on a one-layer card when using Imoression Plates so it doesn't shift when rolling it through. TIA!